Genesis Challenge | Chapters 39-41: Joseph’s Maturing Faith
In chapters 39-41, we can catch a glimpse of Joseph’s maturing faith. Throughout the rest of Genesis, God’s blessing on the life of Joseph will become clear. God blesses Joseph even when he sold as a slave by his jealous brothers. The blessing continues even when he is framed for attempted rape and thrown in prison. He is blessed even when a fellow prisoner whom he helps and is released forgets his promise to plead Joseph’s case. Consider these issues as you read these pivotal chapters:
- How did Joseph respond to the temptation of Potiphar’s wife in vs. 39:8-10?
- What do Joseph’s words in 40:8 and 41:16 reveal about his maturing faith?
- In chapter 41 God reveals important information about Egypt’s future to Pharaoh, who as far as we can tell, has no personal knowledge of God. What does this say about who God is willing to speak to?
- In the 13 years since Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers, beginning when he was 17 years of age, and ending at age 30 with his elevation to Prime Minister, how did Joseph’s faith mature? What other blessings did Joseph receive as a result of his faithfulness?
FOR YOUR GENESIS CHALLENGE JOURNAL
As you work your way through this chapter, use these four questions as guides for discovery and personal growth:
- Find at least one new fact.
- Discover at least one cultural difference between times in Genesis and our own culture.
- Pinpoint any faith principles you see.
- Select one attitude, behavior, or action that you want to apply in your own life.
You will find it helpful to keep a journal or log to record your thoughts, questions, and findings. Please feel free to share what you are learning on the Aspect Ministries Facebook page.