The Genesis Challenge | Chapter 45: Joseph and His Brothers Are Reconciled
In many ways, chapter 45 is the climax of Genesis as Joseph and his brothers are reconciled. Can you imagine what must have passed through the brothers’ minds when the second highest ruler of Egypt turned out to be the brother they mercilessly sold into slavery more than 20 years before? Yet instead of justice, the brothers received grace and forgiveness. Consider these issues as you read these pivotal chapters:
- Why did Joseph weep so loudly in 45:1-2?
- From vs. 4-8, what is Joseph’s mature perspective on the ultimate purpose for his enslavement?
- In vs. 9-20 both Joseph and Pharaoh demonstrate grace. What form did this grace take toward Israel?
- There is no direct evidence for how the brothers reacted to the grace they were shown. Reading between the lines in the chapters at the end of Genesis is seems that they experienced some deep changes in their lives. What changes have happened in you because someone demonstrated God’s grace? What act of grace do you need to pass on to others?
FOR YOUR GENESIS CHALLENGE JOURNAL
As you work your way through this chapter, use these four questions as guides for discovery and personal growth:
- Find at least one new fact.
- Discover at least one cultural difference between times in Genesis and our own culture.
- Pinpoint any faith principles you see.
- Select one attitude, behavior, or action that you want to apply in your own life.
You will find it helpful to keep a journal or log to record your thoughts, questions, and findings. Please feel free to share what you are learning on the Aspect Ministries Facebook page.