Genesis Challenge | Chapters 27-29: Jacob “Inherits” the Covenant
Chapters 27-29 shift our attention from Abraham and Isaac to Jacob. They tell us the story of how Jacob inherits the covenant. To many of us, Jacob might seem to be an unlikely person to be the bearer of God’s covenant of redemption. He was a liar and a schemer, and in his early life doesn’t seem to have much of a walk with God. Yet, God worked with him and used him to raise up the nation of Israel, who would carry the covenant forward. In these chapters, look especially at these issues:
- Why was it so important that the line of Abraham not intermarry with the local people of Canaan (see 24:3 and 28:1)?
- In chapter 28, God gave the vision of the angels on the ladder to heaven and re-affirmed his redemptive covenant with Jacob. What impact do you think this vision had in Jacob’s life?
- Jacob was a very manipulative individual. What do you make of the way he was treated by Laban in 29:14-30?
For your journal
As you work your way through this chapter, use these four questions as guides for discovery and personal growth:
- Find at least one new fact.
- Discover at least one cultural difference between times in Genesis and our own culture.
- Pinpoint any faith principles you see.
- Select one attitude, behavior, or action that you want to apply in your own life.
You will find it helpful to keep a journal or log to record your thoughts, questions, and findings. As you read, I hope you will join me in sharing some of what you are learning on the Aspect Ministries Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/aspectministries/.