GENESIS 6-9: The Great Flood
The Great Flood was a pivotal event in the early history of the human race. This large reading section (four chapters) is necessary, because it covers the entire flood episode.
Here are some issues to look for in this section:
- Why did God send such a catastrophic judgment? Was he too harsh in destroying every breathing thing?
- Why did God choose Noah’s family for preservation?
- What are the details of God’s covenant with Noah after the Flood?
- How does Genesis 9 evaluate Noah’s sons?
Also note that ALL the peoples of the earth today are descendants of one or more of Noah’s sons, which makes us all extended family. This is why Jesus is born of the line of Noah, so he can save all other descendants of Noah (see the genealogy traced through Noah at the end of Luke 3).
FOR YOUR GENESIS CHALLENGE JOURNAL
As you work your way through this chapter, use these four questions as guides for discovery and personal growth:
- Find at least one new fact.
- Discover at least one cultural difference between times in Genesis and our own culture.
- Pinpoint any faith principles you see.
- Select one attitude, behavior, or action that you want to apply in your own life.
You will find it helpful to keep a journal or log to record your thoughts, questions, and findings. Please feel free to share what you are learning on the Aspect Ministries Facebook page.