Genesis Challenge | Chapter 20: Abraham’s Faith Fails Again
January 15th Reading (Genesis Challenge) | Yesterday’s Reading
Can you believe that Abraham’s faith fails again in the very same way that he failed years before in chapter 12? Up and down, with steady progress is the norm in spiritual growth. Do people today commit the same sins and mistakes repeatedly? Why is this?
As you read chapter 20, think about these points as you read through this section:
- According to, the patriarchs lived very long lives. How can we reconcile the fact that Genesis states that Abraham and Sarah were well past the childbearing years, with their long lives? When Abimelech took Sarah into his harem, she was nearly 90 years of age. Was she desirable simply because she was a woman with good social connections, or did she also retain a significant degree of youthfulness?
- Who is the innocent party in Abraham’s deception?
- What reason does Abraham give to Abimelech for his deception?
- In what ways did God rescue everyone concerned in the circumstances? Does God ever rescue us from our own foolishness?
FOR YOUR GENESIS CHALLENGE JOURNAL
As you work your way through this chapter, use these four questions as guides for discovery and personal growth:
- Find at least one new fact.
- Discover at least one cultural difference between times in Genesis and our own culture.
- Pinpoint any faith principles you see.
- Select one attitude, behavior, or action that you want to apply in your own life.
You will find it helpful to keep a journal or log to record your thoughts, questions, and findings. Please feel free to share what you are learning on the Aspect Ministries Facebook page.