Genesis Challenge | Chapters 17-19: Abraham’s Confidence with God
It is amazing that God does not give up on people of faith, even when their faith fails temporarily. The events of Genesis 17-19 occur around 13 years after the birth of Ishmael. In this episode we will see that Abraham does not remain faithless, but renews his trust and shows a growing confidence with God. Think about these points as you read through this section:
- Notice that God is careful to renew his covenant with Abraham. Why does he do this?
- Notice that with the renewal, comes a name change for both Abram (17:5) and Sarai (17:15).
- How did God require that Abraham seal this renewed covenant?
- Who is named to be the next in line for the covenant?
- What is the difference between Abraham’s laughing at the promise of a son in his old age (17:17) and Sarah’s laughter at the same promise (18:12)?
- In 18:22-19:38, God reveals his determination to judge Sodom and Gomorrah. Is it OK that Abraham argues with God about whether God is too harsh in his judgment? Can we argue with God and still love him?
- How did God protect them from the judgment?
- How had Lot and his family been affected by their lengthy stay in Sodom? How did their love for life in the Cities of the Plain affect the way they responded to their deliverance?
FOR YOUR GENESIS CHALLENGE JOURNAL
As you work your way through this chapter, use these four questions as guides for discovery and personal growth:
- Find at least one new fact.
- Discover at least one cultural difference between times in Genesis and our own culture.
- Pinpoint any faith principles you see.
- Select one attitude, behavior, or action that you want to apply in your own life.
You will find it helpful to keep a journal or log to record your thoughts, questions, and findings. Please feel free to share what you are learning on the Aspect Ministries Facebook page.