GENESIS 12-14: Abraham’s Early Faith
As you read through Genesis 12-14, you will see Abraham taking his first steps of faith as he walks with God. Notice that his name is actually Abram (great father) at this point in his life. Later God will change his name to Abraham (father of a multitude). Notice also that Abram’s faith in God is not consistent at this stage, which should a comfort to us in our own faith journeys.
Look for these points as you read through this section:
- What specific points does God make in his call and promise to Abram (12:1-3).
- What specific purpose does God have in blessing Abram and his family line in the second part of 12:3?
- In 12:4, what was Abram’s response to God’s command to leave his native land?
- Why did Abram’s faith fail in 12:10-20? What was the result of Abram’s failure to trust God? How did God rescue him?
- Did Abram’s learn from his failure in chapter 13? How did he show his growing faith?
- In chapter 14, Abram shows his faith in taking serious personal risk. How did God come through when Abram stepped out in faith?
FOR YOUR GENESIS CHALLENGE JOURNAL
As you work your way through this chapter, use these four questions as guides for discovery and personal growth:
- Find at least one new fact.
- Discover at least one cultural difference between times in Genesis and our own culture.
- Pinpoint any faith principles you see.
- Select one attitude, behavior, or action that you want to apply in your own life.
You will find it helpful to keep a journal or log to record your thoughts, questions, and findings. Please feel free to share what you are learning on the Aspect Ministries Facebook page.