Genesis Challenge | Chapter 21-22: The Birth of Isaac and the Ultimate Test
Why does God sometimes take so long to fulfill his promises? Is he late? Not paying attention? Too busy? Of course, the answer has to do with the fact that our sense of time is different from his, and that he sees the entire picture of our lives (which we don’t) and how our lives fit into his vast and intricate plan.
In these chapters note several important truths:
- God waited to allow Sarah to conceive until there was no possibility that Abraham and Sarah could have conceived on their own.
- The sad episode of the broken relationship with Hagar and Ishmael, and its effects on world history down to this very day.
- Abraham’s problems with neighboring people (Abimelech).
- Abraham’s mature faith and how it allowed him to be willing to do something that God commanded, but that seemed to make no sense.
- Isaac’s trust in his father.
- God’s amazing provision at the right moment.
FOR YOUR GENESIS CHALLENGE JOURNAL
As you work your way through this chapter, use these four questions as guides for discovery and personal growth:
- Find at least one new fact.
- Discover at least one cultural difference between times in Genesis and our own culture.
- Pinpoint any faith principles you see.
- Select one attitude, behavior, or action that you want to apply in your own life.
You will find it helpful to keep a journal or log to record your thoughts, questions, and findings. Please feel free to share what you are learning on the Aspect Ministries Facebook page.