Genesis Challenge | Chapter 37: Joseph’s Immature Faith
In Genesis 37, we get a glimpse of Joseph’s immature faith. Search as much as you like in these chapters — about the only negatives you will find in the life of Joseph are a basic immaturity and a fair amount of youthful arrogance. What kind of person would share dreams with their siblings that clearly predict their future rule over them? To call Joseph self-confident about his amazing giftedness would be an understatement. Yet, when a person like that decides to follow God wholeheartedly, great things can happen. Rest assured that, along the way, God will always deal with the arrogance issue as he works through that person. Here are some important points to look for in your reading:
- Joseph is clearly his father’s favorite. What do you think Jacob love Joseph more than his brothers? Is parental favoritism a godly attitude?
- This passage and many others in the Bible teach that, at times and for specific reasons, God reveals important elements about the future to certain people. What was the purpose (or purposes) of the prophetic dreams given to Joseph?
- There are at least three different sins that Joseph’s brothers are guilty of toward him. Can you identify them? Isn’t it amazing that these men with all their faults are chosen by God to be the patriarchs of the twelve tribes of Israel? What does that say about God’s ability to use us?
FOR YOUR GENESIS CHALLENGE JOURNAL
As you work your way through this chapter, use these four questions as guides for discovery and personal growth:
- Find at least one new fact.
- Discover at least one cultural difference between times in Genesis and our own culture.
- Pinpoint any faith principles you see.
- Select one attitude, behavior, or action that you want to apply in your own life.
You will find it helpful to keep a journal or log to record your thoughts, questions, and findings. Please feel free to share what you are learning on the Aspect Ministries Facebook page.